Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#81 [url]

Aug 11 17 9:46 AM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
^Isn't Stella embracing it? I mean with the European tour, Lionel tour etc. Add Vegas before that. Those things seem very legacy artist to me.

In touring, yeah, I think she is. I actually think Stella has done well on this side of things personally. In terms of her recording career? No. She hasn't put out a studio album since 2014 despite being signed to a new label and insisted instead on that rather stupid singles only approach/rolling out random tracks. 

Honestly, I think Stella should be trying to build a foundation for Mariah as a recording artist in her legacy phase now. What does that sound like? How do you market that? Where is the audience to build for that? These are things you need to map out now Mariah is in her tentative steps of this so you could build a foundation that will still make her bankable in some scale to a label and be supported in a loyal, dependable way. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#82 [url]

Aug 11 17 10:38 AM

Yeah I think Stella just views her as bank for now. Not sure if she is thinking about Mariah long term. What makes money quick? Tours. Make up collabs. Reality TV shows. Holiday movies. If she was thinking about Mariah long term there is no way Mariah's World would have ever seen the light of day.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#83 [url]

Aug 11 17 10:44 AM

Kevon wrote:
Yeah I think Stella just views her as bank for now. Not sure if she is thinking about Mariah long term. What makes money quick? Tours. Make up collabs. Reality TV shows. Holiday movies. If she was thinking about Mariah long term there is no way Mariah's World would have ever seen the light of day.

Likely. Which is a shame. The longer Mariah dicks around on this front, the harder it'll be seen to make her viable / worth label investment. It would be better for her as an artist to be seen as a dependable legacy talent that could return front loaded, decent sales from an established audience than a hasbeen that the label don't know who to even market to anymore due to a waning, distant fanbase.  

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#84 [url]

Aug 11 17 10:51 AM

I do not believe Mariah wants to go into legacy status just yet, and that's why that isn't happening. I am pretty sure Queen wants at least one more big hit before she hangs up the hit making hat.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#85 [url]

Aug 11 17 11:02 AM

Vincent wrote:
I do not believe Mariah wants to go into legacy status just yet, and that's why that isn't happening. I am pretty sure Queen wants at least one more big hit before she hangs up the hit making hat.

Unfortunately, an artist doesn't get to decide on these things. The general public, their wallets and the charts do. 

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#86 [url]

Aug 11 17 11:36 AM

I think Mariah is really confused right now, career wise, and the fact that there is no strong team behind her to guide her and help her establish her status in today's music biz only makes things worse. There seems to be no vision, no career orientation whatsoever. Is she now consciously turning into a legacy artist or does she still consider herself a strong player in the game, up there with all the big names? Her business moves only prove the first..Well, she has signed a new contract so that means that the recording industry still believes in her in some way. I highly doubt they are expecting a TEOM part 2 success though..

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Aug 11 17 2:49 PM

Vincent wrote:

Mariah took one step into legacy status the minute she signed onto Idol and then delayed that album. The Vegas residency solidified her status as a legacy act and her whole career sort of centres on Christmas now too, again her legacy.

I don't necessarily think that's what she wanted but she effectively forced it on herself when she started rebelling against the labels, not having stable and effective management after she had her kids etc. The control she sought over her career has been her downfall in one way.

But in another way, her whole life changed when she had her kids and I think she's quite content touring and making money that way and getting huge exposure at Christmas rather than constantly being in the studio.

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

Aug 11 17 3:25 PM

;(( But I thought that being in the studio was what made her happy..... In fact, that THAT was the only thing of the process that she really enjoyed/ liked the most: creating music.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlos b fly

Administrator

#90 [url]

Aug 11 17 4:34 PM

mcrespect wrote:
 Is she now consciously turning into a legacy artist or does she still consider herself a strong player in the game, up there with all the big names?

Oh, I think Mariah is a big name in the entertainment game. Her Idol paycheque proved that. She can still command a lot. You can be a big name in music even as a legacy artist and there are loads of examples of that. It just means you won't be getting hits anymore and likely shortlived album campaigns.

Quote    Reply   

#91 [url]

Aug 11 17 4:41 PM

ORIGINalMClOVER wrote:
;(( But I thought that being in the studio was what made her happy..... In fact, that THAT was the only thing of the process that she really enjoyed/ liked the most: creating music.

Yes and I'm sure she still gets a buzz by being in the studio. But we often forget that she's not just an artist, she's boss of a company and she has people on her payroll that need to be paid, people that have families and kids of their own so a lot of responsibility rests on her shoulders. It's no longer profitable for Mariah to be spending 9-12 months in the studio doing the odd private event. She doesn't get a large advance from a label anymore to be in the studio, her music isn't selling so it's just not profitable for her to spend time doing it when she can make money faster by touring and doing other side projects that give her easy access to cash. She has her own lifestyle that she wants to maintain too. So priorities change and that's all we are seeing now and it's difficult for fans to accept that.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#92 [url]

Aug 11 17 4:50 PM

mimifan09 wrote:
ORIGINalMClOVER wrote:

Yes and I'm sure she still gets a buzz by being in the studio. But we often forget that she's not just an artist, she's boss of a company and she has people on her payroll that need to be paid, people that have families and kids of their own so a lot of responsibility rests on her shoulders. It's no longer profitable for Mariah to be spending 9-12 months in the studio doing the odd private event. She doesn't get a large advance from a label anymore to be in the studio, her music isn't selling so it's just not profitable for her to spend time doing it when she can make money faster by touring and doing other side projects that give her easy access to cash. She has her own lifestyle that she wants to maintain too. So priorities change and that's all we are seeing now and it's difficult for fans to accept that.

True. I know its painful and frustrating for us but from Mariah's point of view, she can probably make the same amount of money now in an hour from a private performance as she would from two years of recording / promo around an album cycle.

Quote    Reply   

mcrespect

#93 [url]

Aug 11 17 5:23 PM

mimifan09 wrote:
ORIGINalMClOVER wrote:

You've summed it up pretty well. This is the truth and it's nice that you made it so clear. A reality check.

Quote    Reply   

#94 [url]

Aug 11 17 9:26 PM

Does anyone else think they would do a good job as an advisor/manager/consultant to Mariah? I think she needs a great collabo on a great 'ear candy' song ie Despacito to get the mass audience interested and likened to her again then an absolute stellar song on her own that takes off i.e. An All Of Me, Hello type of song that breaks all barriers. To me none of this is difficult to achieve. My one gripe is she won't sing anyone else's songs.... her songwriting is not at its best and she is lacking inspiration, now is the very time to collaborate or just to sing someone else's song and have that huge hit, this will bring her confidence and career back. But she must learn to let go on writing everything, because her juices just ain't flowing. There's nothing shameful in that, she can write a lot of the album, but she needs a hit and the easiest way to get that is relinquish some control and feature on a major record then get an ace song (there's loads of them around) and it will sell like hot cakes. After that.... it's time to work on the image and performing ability, she needs to take it up 100 notches and let go of Stella and her amateurish team and go silent on tmz and instagram and come back with a stars Impact. This is what I'd advise if I was given the Chance to work with MC.

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

Aug 12 17 3:57 AM

^ All of that's well and good but it fails to take into account that Mariah has struggled with radio for almost 10 years now. Since TMB, Obsessed really pushed and pushed to get to where it did. It wasn't easy and #Beautiful's success was dependant on the Clear Channell deal. It was only a one day deal and song was growing for 3 weeks but radio dropped it out of nowhere. So Mariah relinquishing control over songwriting might get her a great song but chances are it will flop now too. She's nearly 50. Her public image is dire at the moment so she's not exactly hot property that radio is waiting to hop on board with the minute she releases something good. She's also not an artist that can rely on streaming or downloads to effectively force radio to play her. So she's at a major disadvantage before she even puts pen to paper.

I do agree that her best chance at getting a hit is by hopping on board someone else's song as a feature. But nothing is guaranteed. Her career has moved away from being a hitmaker and she hasn't taken any steps to stabilise thar side of her career. She signed to Epic nearly 3 years ago now and still hasn't put out an album. This renegotiated deal is less about Epic and more about Mariah and how much effort/money she's willing to invest into recording the album and pushing it upon release. So the odds are stacked against her.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#97 [url]

Aug 12 17 11:55 AM

YAS STELLA PUT THESE GERLS IN CHECK!

"Why don’t you come watch MC perform to sold out crowds three times a week for yourself and see what you think instead of giving a former disgruntled employee’s bitter comments life."

SLAY!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help