Remove this ad

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#921 [url]

Jul 27 17 12:40 PM

No, a short album, but probably a short campaign too. She seems to be more focused on touring now (never thought we'd see the day) and other projects to really try and promote an album beyond its first few months. Probably 2 singles tops.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#922 [url]

Jul 27 17 1:13 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
jamiclever wrote:
I'd argue that it did work for Janet. 

I'd argue it didn't. 

She has released complete shite for over a decade and everyone expected Unbreakable to be more of that same shite. Instead, she dropped a well received album in a quiet week of competition and managed to top the charts for one week with okay numbers and scored absolutely no hits off the entire campaign. Outside of people really liking the album, any other pretence of it doing really well is shallow smoke and mirrors - the album didn't have legs, nor did the it bring any hits.

Mariah could easily achieve this right now with a well timed release date, solid pre-orders and a focused amount of suitable promo aimed at the 30's - 40's demo. 

Janet has also cancelled her last tour, and it does not matter what was the official excuse, sales were abysmal. I think she went away and now no one really cares. I agree that Mariah and her team could handle things better. The whole Christmas exposure and success has been her saving grace this decade, otherwise it would have been American Idol and one hit only.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#924 [url]

Jul 27 17 2:00 PM

Brazilian X Man wrote:
carlos b fly wrote:
jamiclever wrote:

I'd argue it didn't. 

She has released complete shite for over a decade and everyone expected Unbreakable to be more of that same shite. Instead, she dropped a well received album in a quiet week of competition and managed to top the charts for one week with okay numbers and scored absolutely no hits off the entire campaign. Outside of people really liking the album, any other pretence of it doing really well is shallow smoke and mirrors - the album didn't have legs, nor did the it bring any hits.

Mariah could easily achieve this right now with a well timed release date, solid pre-orders and a focused amount of suitable promo aimed at the 30's - 40's demo. 

Janet has also cancelled her last tour, and it does not matter what was the official excuse, sales were abysmal. I think she went away and now no one really cares. I agree that Mariah and her team could handle things better. The whole Christmas exposure and success has been her saving grace this decade, otherwise it would have been American Idol and one hit only.

True. I'm not trying to take anything away from Janet but as a comeback, it was hardly mega or conquered the public. It was a weeks flash at #1 with okay sales. Even pap like Discipline topped the Billboard and her name had been mud for quality material by then, and this was all before any kind of absence.  

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#925 [url]

Jul 27 17 3:07 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
jamiclever wrote:

I'd argue it didn't. 

That's exactly how Unbreakable did - her fans loved it and critics embraced it. It was not a commercial hit in any way shape or form, she couldn't even manage a Top 50 single. In that sense MIAM was more successful if only for the fact that #B was a sleeper hit.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#926 [url]

Jul 27 17 3:15 PM

Vincent wrote:
No, a short album, but probably a short campaign too. She seems to be more focused on touring now (never thought we'd see the day) and other projects to really try and promote an album beyond its first few months. Probably 2 singles tops.

I've been saying for a long time that she should do shorter albums. Takes less time, less costly, plus albums don't really sell anymore anyway. And as you say I don't think she'll promote an album beyond two singles now anyway.

Quote    Reply   

Vincent

Me. I am Vinny...The Shady Wordsmith

#927 [url]

Jul 27 17 3:31 PM

Yeah; all her albums were short and had only 3 full singles until CB anyway... likely for the time/money reasons.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vincent, dahhhhling.

Quote    Reply   

ThiagoUnlimited

#928 [url]

Jul 28 17 6:58 AM

breakbreakdown wrote:
Maybe the duet with Busta is a warm-up single ? Anyway, let's see how is she going to handle the whole era. She must be starting her diet now.
agreed. she has been consistently doing that over the last years.
there's one cycle that she has to break this time though: the frustration that her previous releases caused.
one of the things I've learned is to never underestimate her ability to come back to the top.  

She already got the 1996 and 2005 decades songs, maybe she could have the 2017 too and 3 straight decades on Billboard smiley: smokinsmiley: roll

Her greatest opportunity at this moment is with a great magic happening on her single with Busta. Something catchy, r&b, hip-hop, pop merge. at least we know that their voices are already proven to intertwine well.
Then "The Star" can come afterwards, as a mid-tempo/uplifting/beat-driven Mariah classic's song. multi-layer backing vocals, perfect balance between whispering and chest voices, etc. 
smiley: smile

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#929 [url]

Jul 28 17 7:36 AM

ThiagoUnlimited wrote:
breakbreakdown wrote:
Maybe the duet with Busta is a warm-up single ? Anyway, let's see how is she going to handle the whole era. She must be starting her diet now.

Her greatest opportunity at this moment is with a great magic happening on her single with Busta. 

Not really. Busta is seen as even more of a has been at this point than Mariah, even if the song is great there won't be enough heat between the pair of them to impact the charts. Her greatest opportunity right now is to actually cash in on her revered status with so many younger acts and do a collab or feature with someone like The Weekend. 

Get that #1 or hit riding off someone else far more bankable in current music. 

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

In the sands of time

#930 [url]

Jul 28 17 9:25 AM

Yeah not quite sure why the Busta track would be a warmup for anything. Even Mariah is more likely to score a hit than Busta at this point..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#931 [url]

Jul 28 17 10:17 AM

Plus the Busta track is his song that mightn't even be a single now. His album that was expected for this year has been postponed so we can forget the Busta song for now.

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#932 [url]

Jul 28 17 10:31 AM

mcrespect wrote:
Are we assuming that "I Don't" will be included in the record? I sure hope not. I like the song but it was a floppy single associated with her breakup from Packer and a trashy video that received tons of negative feedback. That was definitely no #B..I really hope she starts this era anew..

Ew, I hope not. 1) It was a bomb, 2) it will take the slot of a potential song we haven't heard, and 3) it blows! smiley: alien

Speaking of the Busta song, I think it's almost safe to say we won't be hearing it this year now that his record was pushed back. I say, let "The Star" (along with AIWFCIY) do its thing for the holiday season this year and release a new single come January with the album some time in April or something. 

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#933 [url]

Jul 28 17 10:31 AM

And it was an I Know What You Want copy according to that preview. What was a hit in 2003 would probably not be a hit in 2017

Quote    Reply   

#936 [url]

Jul 28 17 10:56 AM

I think she should do exactly what she did with MIAMTEC -- send out a hot first single that is a duet/feature with someone younger and great (Bruno, Kendrick, Drake, Frank Ocean even) and follow it up with a classic Mariah single (a la YDKWTD). All the ingredients were there last time, it was just the execution that bombed.

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#938 [url]

Jul 28 17 11:37 AM

^^ The album's lead single needs to be either with Bruno or The Weeknd, yes. Besides the chart potential - I mean that's a guaranteed top 20 hit assuming the song is halfway catchy/melodic - those acts are in her lane so it wouldn't feel like she's selling out. Not to mention she's a fan of both (and the other way around).

Drake - That'd be cool but I feel his association with Nicki Garage instantly crosses him off the list.
Frank Ocean? He can't get a hit himself so, nope.
Kendrick Lamar? He's a jerk and semi-dissed her a while back so IDK.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#940 [url]

Jul 28 17 11:56 AM

YASS let's open an appreciation club!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help