Remove this ad

Migrate90

Mimi's Bodyguard

Lead

Apr 20 17 7:19 PM

Tags : :

With the exception of her debut, TEOM and E she's covered a song on every album in her catalog. Knowing she's working on album #15 right now, what song would you guys want her to cover? I remember in the last thread some fan asked for "One More Try," and lo and behold she remade it for MIAM!

For me, ideally I want an album with 100% new material like TEOM for instance, but if she does remake a song I'd rather something obscure and for God's sakes NOT an 80's power ballad. It'd be so predictable and corny at this point; not to mention that, unlike what dumb label executives think, it wouldn't even work as a single in Europe... smiley: grin 

So, ideas?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

hottiecasanova

"You think that's sexy? With the Rocket Pop's outside you?"

#1 [url]

Apr 20 17 7:42 PM

Ballad: Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, Uptempo: Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way, I'd love if she'd do an interpolation of Jade's "Don't Walk Away" in a remix of something or sample it in a meaningful way. I miss her amazing samples/interpolations. The H.A.T.E.U Remix was the last great example of this and that was YEARS ago and not even available for sale anywhere.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 20 17 8:31 PM

I love her covers. I can't think of any right now but I do want to comment that I do enjoy One More Try a lot more now than I did when it first came out. I think when it first came out I was expecting some big epic vocal moment and was disappointed, but then after George Michael died I got back into it and bump that @+$! lol. It's just overproduced. The live version she did was a tad better. Too bad it wasn't full.

Quote    Reply   

hontasy

#4 [url]

Apr 21 17 3:05 AM

I agree, enough with the 80's power ballads. I'd love it if she covered Inside My Love or Everytime He Comes Around by Minnie Ripperton.

Something from the mid 90s R&B era would be nice as well. I can see her sampling Reminisce by Mary J, Tell Me by Groove Theory or something by Faith Evans.

Quote    Reply   

Kevon

Administrator

#5 [url]

Apr 21 17 3:37 AM

The thing is I don't even think she really likes these 80s rock songs. I can't see her being into the original IWKWLI for example. I think she just feels people expect that from her since Without You but the reality is people haven't been checking for those covers since the 90s

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Nike

Posts: 12,159 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#7 [url]

Apr 21 17 9:26 AM

I always wanted her to cover IT MUST HAVE BEEN LOVE by Roxette
She can make it a R&B version or a power vocal ballad 

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#10 [url]

Apr 21 17 10:04 AM

None. Her covers have been terrible for years now, just let that be a thing of the past.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#11 [url]

Apr 21 17 10:13 AM

I'd rather a good interpolation over a new track akin to the "When she bothered with remixes" era.

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#14 [url]

Apr 21 17 5:37 PM

hottiecasanova wrote:
I'd love if she'd do an interpolation of Jade's "Don't Walk Away" in a remix of something or sample it in a meaningful way. I miss her amazing samples/interpolations. The H.A.T.E.U Remix was the last great example of this and that was YEARS ago and not even available for sale anywhere.
The way she sampled "I'm Caught Up (In A One Love Affair)" for YDKWTD was pretty awesome in my opinion. That's her last great sample to me and I live for that song. I'd love more jams in that vein from MC.

Kevon wrote:
The thing is I don't even think she really likes these 80s rock songs. I can't see her being into the original IWKWLI for example. I think she just feels people expect that from her since Without You but the reality is people haven't been checking for those covers since the 90s laugh.gif

I actually disagree. I think she *genuinely* loves those songs mostly because she grew up on those. "Without You" was a song that her mom used to sing to her when she was a baby and she always loved it, she said about IWTKWLI, all the way back in 1990, that it was one of her all time favorites and that the choir in that song was epic. She also praised "What About Love" and "You Give Love A Bad Name" (OK, not a power ballad, but an 80s rock song regardless! laugh.gif) when they were sung in American Idol the season she was a judge; she said she was taken back to her teenage years when she was a radio junkie listening to that stuff all the time.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#17 [url]

Apr 23 17 6:50 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
None. Her covers have been terrible for years now, just let that be a thing of the past.

Harsh but true. Her last great cover was BOTH. Everything that's followed has been either by the numbers (IWTKWLI) or just outright bad (OMT).

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#18 [url]

Apr 23 17 6:53 PM

DodecagonYT wrote:
I would prefer no covers at her new album, but I would love if she covered 'I will always love you' as a tribute to Whitney. No? Ok, I'm outta here. ;P

Terrible idea on every level. It was discussed that Mariah should do a Whitney song when she passed and the same point kept coming up - her covering a song by Whitney rendered by Whitney at her vocal prime (which was utterly superhuman) would be a recipe for disaster. The whole "Mariah's voice is a piece of %$@+ now" public narrative would be blown up to a billion by her taking on a Whitney song and sounding no way near as good.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Apr 23 17 7:27 PM

IMO her last great cover was Against All Odds. I still listen today. I love her voice, her runs, the instrumentation, those drums starting the second verse. It is a really good cover and very Mariah from the 90s.

I know people here seem to hate it but I like IWKWLI. I think it is her last cover that has her signature, very Mariah. Bu nowhere as good as Against All Odds.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 23 17 7:39 PM

I like IWTKWLI too but it feels rushed and unfinished. The vocal at the key change is odd and the whole thing ends abruptly.

I feel she put more effort and thought into OMT and it obviously means a lot to the story she was telling. But the vocal just lets the whole thing down. I do love the live snippet she did in Dubai.

As for the next album, I don't mind her doing a cover so long as it's somewhat interesting. But like others have said, she shouldn't bother with another 80's power ballad cover.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help