Remove this ad

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#661 [url]

Apr 21 17 1:21 PM

Hopefully she finds a "new ballad sound" for this album. I know Cry. and Camouflage were different, but I want something with a proper structure, proper chorus, catchy etc

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

hottiecasanova

"You think that's sexy? With the Rocket Pop's outside you?"

#662 [url]

Apr 21 17 1:27 PM

Kevon wrote:
I think TEOM kind of redefined Mariah's sound - it was a rare situation where it felt new and fresh but didn't sound like 'someone else' ala memoirs or E

To me it seemed more like a production, a showcase - 'Return of THE VOICE', Mariah had slowly been going off track the previous couple of albums and this was a return to what she was known for so it was welcomed - I do agree that it didn't seem as personal lyrically

It ushered in a new 'standard Mariah sound' as well which she hadn't really done similarly before which was 'the WBT clone' lol

Usher's Confessions album says hi. 

Quote    Reply   

hottiecasanova

#663 [url]

Apr 21 17 1:29 PM

Brazilian X Man wrote:
Hopefully she finds a "new ballad sound" for this album. I know Cry. and Camouflage were different, but I want something with a proper structure, proper chorus, catchy etc

Yes to all of this.

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#667 [url]

Apr 21 17 3:52 PM

Circles, FLAB, Cry, Camouflage. That's four, betch!

I'd love for her to work with James Poyser again though, Mine Again and When Christmas Comes are great songs.

Quote    Reply   

#668 [url]

Apr 21 17 4:21 PM

Brazilian X Man wrote:

This why I'd love to see her work with these 4 producers Jeff Bhasker, Kuk Harell, Max Martin and Marc Shaimen. All of them have had current hits and are diverse in tearms of genre and the in the tempo of songs they produce. I'd say Jeff Bhasker would be the best of all because his track record is amazing and he could really bring Mariah's roots to a current record.

Quote    Reply   

hottiecasanova

#669 [url]

Apr 21 17 5:02 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:

I'd love for her to work with James Poyser again though, Mine Again and When Christmas Comes are great songs.

I only recognize the first two as masterpieces, the others I rebuke. I'd welcome her trying with James Poyser again, but I'd be far more interested in seeing her collaborate with some fresh, new blood. 

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#670 [url]

Apr 21 17 5:46 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
smiley: laugh

Let's not forget "I Wish You Knew" as well!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Migrate90

#671 [url]

Apr 21 17 5:54 PM

Limelord wrote:
Sorry for starting the discussion about CB, apparently it has taken place many times before, but I am new to this 'discussing MC' world, so I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with the album. I have no desire to 'convert' anyone into a CB lover, just to see what others think and state my opinion.
And sorry for double posting (I believe that's usually frowned upon?)

Edit: I guess I didn't double post after all!

Noooo! I am sorry for coming across as testy as I did with my post against CB. We love CB! (I guess, lol...) smiley: smile For "Subtle Invitation" and BOTH if nothing else. And for that outstanding tour that followed the album. BEST. MARIAH. VOCALS. since 1996!

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#672 [url]

Apr 21 17 5:58 PM

Brazilian X Man wrote:
To me, her worst is Memoirs. I simply don't see any reason for that album to exist. It is just a compilation of boring and dull album tracks that didn't add anything to her cathalog. Mariah could have gone directly from E=MC² to the Christmas album.

Glitter has some good highlights, like All My Life, Twister and Lead The Way, but the bad songs are really bad. I Didn't Mean To Turn You On is unbearable, I've had a headache each time I tried to listen to it until the end
You summed up pretty much exactly the way I feel about Memoirs myself. What bombs that album is that pretty much all those damn tracks sound alike! And most of them are %#+$!#% boring to boot. smiley: tired She worked with the same production/writing team for the majority of the record and that's what it ultimately did it in. If you don't have insane chemistry with another collaborator (eg the way she did with Walter, who she delivered total magic with in 99% of their collabos), you don't take the risk to make a full album with them. 

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#673 [url]

Apr 21 17 6:00 PM

hottiecasanova wrote:
Kevon wrote:
Which to you guys felt more like a Mariah album? Memoirs or E?

I don't really feel like TEOM, E or Memoirs feel like Mariah albums, much as I like the first two. There are a few songs on each of the albums that are classic Mariah (FLAB, FTR, HATEU), but I feel that the most "Mariah Carey" albums post CB are definitely MIAM and MCIIY, even if TEOM is stronger overall. 
Agreed.

Quote    Reply   

Migrate90

#674 [url]

Apr 21 17 6:03 PM

Mariah10Carey88 wrote:
Someone other than Big Jim doing a ballad would be cool

I hope so too.

I'd love Mariah to work with Blood Orange. He did a lot of work on Solange's last EP. He is amazing. He and Mariah would create some incredible and timeless slow jams.

Quote    Reply   

hottiecasanova

#675 [url]

Apr 21 17 6:13 PM

mcfan wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

It's a cute album track, but masterpiece is a stretch, sis. smiley: wink

Quote    Reply   

#676 [url]

Apr 21 17 7:25 PM

I am just popping by, I also hate MOAIA myself too. The only track I could listen to from there is Angels Cry, because of the meaning of the lyrics. The rest doesn't sound Mariah-like to me. It was a desperate attempt to get an album out , whereas it could have been skipped, or give Mariah more time to think about the songs. It is really monotone as an album, with the exception of one song, which is Obsessed. It is different, but not appealing to me. From this new album, I want to see Mariah take a different approach to songs, like she did with Meteorite, even if she snobbed about it. I find myself listening to that song a lot nowadays. She needs something fresh, catchy, appealing to all ages. I want something fast-paced, with a nice strong chorus and bridge, with a lyrical meaning, and a strong message. I don't think that it needs to have all those vocal ornaments that basic music listeners won't appreciate, or even understand, and it needs to be easy to sing vocally, so she doesn't tire her voice and sings it ALWAYS live.

Quote    Reply   

mcfan

#Beautiful

#677 [url]

Apr 21 17 7:36 PM

hottiecasanova wrote:
mcfan wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

It's a cute album track, but masterpiece is a stretch, sis. smiley: wink
The spoken word bridge >>

Quote    Reply   

Brazilian X Man

Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
and we'll melt your popsicle

#678 [url]

Apr 21 17 8:49 PM

Migrate90 wrote:
Limelord wrote:
Sorry for starting the discussion about CB, apparently it has taken place many times before, but I am new to this 'discussing MC' world, so I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with the album. I have no desire to 'convert' anyone into a CB lover, just to see what others think and state my opinion.
And sorry for double posting (I believe that's usually frowned upon?)

Edit: I guess I didn't double post after all!

Noooo! I am sorry for coming across as testy as I did with my post against CB. We love CB! (I guess, lol...) smiley: smile For "Subtle Invitation" and BOTH if nothing else. And for that outstanding tour that followed the album. BEST. MARIAH. VOCALS. since 1996!

The ending vocals of Subtle Invitation are atrocious to me, not pleasing at all. She is just screaming and screeching. The highlights of CB to me are My Saving Grace, You Got Me (even if it is just for the instrumental), Lullaby, Through The Rain and Clown.

Quote    Reply   

#679 [url]

Apr 22 17 4:56 AM

Brazilian X Man wrote:
To me, her worst is Memoirs. I simply don't see any reason for that album to exist. It is just a compilation of boring and dull album tracks that didn't add anything to her cathalog. Mariah could have gone directly from E=MC² to the Christmas album.

She needed to make an album after the miscarriage to get out of depression.

hottiecasanova wrote:

I don't really feel like TEOM, E or Memoirs feel like Mariah albums, much as I like the first two. There are a few songs on each of the albums that are classic Mariah (FLAB, FTR, HATEU), but I feel that the most "Mariah Carey" albums post CB are definitely MIAM and MCIIY, even if TEOM is stronger overall. 

I completely agree with this.

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#680 [url]

Apr 23 17 1:50 PM

Migrate90 wrote:
Brazilian X Man wrote:

Glitter has some good highlights, like All My Life, Twister and Lead The Way, but the bad songs are really bad. I Didn't Mean To Turn You On is unbearable, I've had a headache each time I tried to listen to it until the end
You summed up pretty much exactly the way I feel about Memoirs myself. What bombs that album is that pretty much all those damn tracks sound alike! And most of them are %#+$!#% boring to boot. smiley: tired She worked with the same production/writing team for the majority of the record and that's what it ultimately did it in. If you don't have insane chemistry with another collaborator (eg the way she did with Walter, who she delivered total magic with in 99% of their collabos), you don't take the risk to make a full album with them. 

I'm a notorious hater of Memoirs and you've summed it up - it really is such a samey mess of music with a producer she simply didn't have enough chemistry with to carry a whole album and writing that felt hooked onto auto rinse. On a plus point, she sounded so much better than on E=MC2 and HATE U is a truly stunning, majestic track.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help