Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 12 17 1:23 PM

Tags : :

Mariah has the record for the most consecutive weeks spent at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, with her song One Sweet Day, which stayed atop the charts for 16 weeks! The new Ed Sheeran song, Shape Of You, is starting to seem a threat for that record. It is already atop the charts for 13 weeks, and there is no sign of it going down.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Kevon

Administrator

#2 [url]

Apr 12 17 2:06 PM

It was only a matter of time before this record was broken - the industry has changed now with downloads, singles are so accessible

One day someone (yes possibly Rihanna) will pass her number 1s record as well

Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

Quote    Reply   

BeyondIdolization

May we always be together...
In the sands of time

#5 [url]

Apr 12 17 2:41 PM

Someone's been saying every six months for the last 15 years that this and that song is about to break OSD's record. Can't we just talk about it when/if it actually happens?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 12 17 2:41 PM

Kevon, it is complete shame, for that record to be broken, by a song that is just 'catchy'. Whether it be Rihanna, Ed Sheeran, or AG (no hate towards them), it isn't really worth it. The day that record is brokn, Imma go to the central square, protest against it, wearing all black, mourning for that broken record

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 12 17 3:10 PM

It'd be so underwhelming if this song became the longest running #1. I mean, the song ain't that bad and 'One Sweet Day' isn't Mariah's best number anyway, but at least it has impeccable vocals and simply put it's better than Sheeran's effort.
Had Mars's 'Uptown Funk' broken the record, that wouldn't have been so bad, it's a great song. But this?

__    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __    __

Charmbracelet is my favorite MC album. DEAL WIT IT

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#8 [url]

Apr 12 17 4:16 PM

BeyondIdolization wrote:
Someone's been saying every six months for the last 15 years that this and that song is about to break OSD's record. Can't we just talk about it when/if it actually happens?

What was the last one? Rihanna or something? I don't even know what the big deal is. One day, this record will be broken so its better to stop panicking over it and at least hope its an artist that's decent. An actual singer/songwriter like Ed is at least a credible pop artist more in the Mariah vein, unlike a talentless nothing like Rihanna.  

Quote    Reply   

bigj405

#10 [url]

Apr 12 17 5:58 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

What was the last one? Rihanna or something? I don't even know what the big deal is. One day, this record will be broken so its better to stop panicking over it and at least hope its an artist that's decent. An actual singer/songwriter like Ed is at least a credible pop artist more in the Mariah vein, unlike a talentless nothing like Rihanna.  

The last one was "Closer" by The Chainsmokers if I'm not mistaken.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Nike

Posts: 12,129 We're all just living in the moment of being positive and there's like, people called haters ... [No, no, Cindy] ... and we give them positivity

#12 [url]

Apr 13 17 2:10 AM

One Sweet Day is untouchable. I will use any means to hunt Shape Of You down if it reaches 15 weeks (even I like this song)

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 13 17 2:40 AM

Like already said, Shape of You has been #1 for "only" 11 weeks - that's 6 more weeks to actually break One Sweet Day's record which is a long time. It's too early to freak out yet.

carlos b fly wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

The last real scare IIRC was Uptown Funk. UF ended up spending 14 weeks at #1, and it was a real threat because it either kept growing or wasn't falling. Wiz Khalifa's See You Again from Furious 7 blew up and knocked it off the top spot. I *think* UF then spent some weeks at #2, so if it hadn't been for SYA, it would have taken OSD's record.

Rihanna's longest #1 single is We Found Love with 10 weeks, so no she was never a threat to this record.

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

carlos b fly

Administrator

#14 [url]

Apr 13 17 7:14 AM

seanjonmc wrote:
Like already said, Shape of You has been #1 for "only" 11 weeks - that's 6 more weeks to actually break One Sweet Day's record which is a long time. It's too early to freak out yet.

carlos b fly wrote:
BeyondIdolization wrote:

The last real scare IIRC was Uptown Funk. UF ended up spending 14 weeks at #1, and it was a real threat because it either kept growing or wasn't falling. Wiz Khalifa's See You Again from Furious 7 blew up and knocked it off the top spot. I *think* UF then spent some weeks at #2, so if it hadn't been for SYA, it would have taken OSD's record.

Rihanna's longest #1 single is We Found Love with 10 weeks, so no she was never a threat to this record.

I had it in my head that Work was a threat. Imagining it was at the top of the charts for over 12 weeks was a horrible nightmare I didn't need smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 13 17 3:30 PM

carlos b fly wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:

carlos b fly wrote:

I had it in my head that Work was a threat. Imagining it was at the top of the charts for over 12 weeks was a horrible nightmare I didn't need smiley: laugh

Work was #1 for 9 weeks, which is just mind boggling. I'm glad it didn't stay #1 longer than We Found Love, which is one of her best singles. Work was grating. smiley: indifferent

[USERNAME REMOVED BY REQUEST] wrote:
Mariah Carey On Rihanna: "I love Rihanna, I am a fan. I love that she is who she is, she's a superstar and she just lives as herself."

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 13 17 3:48 PM

RE:

DodecagonYT wrote:
Mariah has the record for the most consecutive weeks spent at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, with her song One Sweet Day, which stayed atop the charts for 16 weeks! The new Ed Sheeran song, Shape Of You, is starting to seem a threat for that record. It is already atop the charts for 13 weeks, and there is no sign of it going down.

We haven't come this far for Ed Sheeran to break this record, not on my watch !

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Apr 13 17 3:59 PM

Getting a number one these days is purely based on how much radio shoves these songs down our throats. People wouldn't even pay attention to half of these songs if radio didn't conjure up a plan to push them and play them repeatedly until eventually they're considered a "good" songs
And with streaming being considered actual sales and RIAA passing out more certifications than nicki minaj takes L's, the whole thing has turned into a mess.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 13 17 4:32 PM

Sorry but "Shape of You" doesn't deserve this record. Maybe "Thinking Out Loud" should have but not this one.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help